NetFlow Logic extends both vRealize Operations and vRealize Log Insight capability. It is an analytics engine for network flow data (NetFlow, IPFIX, sFlow, etc.). It has Log Insight Content Pack and vRealize Operations Management Pack.
The installation has a few stages.
- Install and configure NetFlow Integrator.
- Configure vSphere, NSX & physical switch to send netflow, sFlow, IPFIX, etc.
- Install Log Insight content pack
- Install vRealize Operations management pack
The manual is pretty straightforward, so I will only add items that I hope complement it.
Stage 1: NetFlow Integrator
Download it from NetFlow download page. There are actually 3 softwares you need to download:
- NetFlow Integrator 2.4.
- I recommend you use the Windows version. I used the VM form factor, which needs manual Linux command lines.
- The VM only takes 2 vCPU, 4 GB RAM and 1 network
- NFI Updater
- This small component is installed on top of NFI. It provides NFI with information such as GEOIP, Reputation, etc
- NFI Operations Analytics.
- This provides the vRealize Operations Insight integration. So there are multiple products to install once you unzip the files.
- TP2 Package means this package of software is still in Tech Preview 2. The folks are working closely with VMware team.
I installed the VM appliance. It needs some Linux command lines. Installation of the NFI Updater is also via CLI, as shown below.
Once installed, it’s time to configure it. There are a few things to do
- Input and Output
- vSphere and NSX integration
- Top of Rack
- Additional NFI modules (optional)
To configure input and output, it’s a matter of specifying the port. Add 9995 (netflow) and 6343 (sflow) and 2055 (IPFIX). I have to add 6343 because Arista uses sflow
Next is the Output. To configure the Log Insight integration, you just need to fill the dialog box below. NetFlow already knows Log Insight, as you can see it has a drop down for it!
You need to configure the vSphere and NSX integration. The current version is limited to 1 vCenter per NFI. If you have multiple vCenter, install another NFI. Multiple NFI can point to the same Log Insight.
To configure the Top of Rack switch, you just need to specify their IP address.
To get the vRealize Operations integration, change the output method from the default 0 to 2.
Stage 2: vSphere, NSX & Physical Switch
In vCenter, the default collector port for NFI is 9995. You specify the NFI IP address (not hostname). In my example below, it is 172.16.101.90.
To configure IPFIX in NSX, go to the Flow Monitoring and key in the NFI IP address. I use port 2055.
On the physical switch, here is how to configure Cisco for SNMP v3
Stage 3: Log Insight
The Content Pack is not yet made available in Log Insight marketplace. Just upload it manually as per the screenshot below.
Once uploaded, here is what you get
You get additional information about the traffic.
And who is talking to who in your network…
You can drill down to see the details
Stage 4: vRealize Operations
The Management Pack installation is similar to typical Management Pack. The only thing you need to do is provide the URL
You also need to enable the collection of IP Address