Thanks Varghese, Arman, Bella, and Lusine for contributing this!
The 1st dashboard answers “What has been saved” question. As it focuses on the past, it shows a line chart.
The 2nd dashboard answers “What could be saved” question. It emphasizes the urgency to take action, hence a heat map is used.
To import, download from here, then:
- Import the supermetrics. Enable them.
- Import the views
- Import the dashboards
Our calculation is conservative. Your actual savings will be more. We are not including things like:
- Physical buildings and land. With virtualization, you consume less foot print. This means less physical rack.
- Network equipment – Less physical servers mean less network ports. Because firewall, load balancers, IDS, IPS can be VM, you have less equipment
- Other components like UPS , Lighting , Cooling and Labour
- Power consumption of a small server (1 socket, 10 cores, 32 GB RAM) = 0.1 KW
- CO2 emission per KWh = 0.744 Kg
- Cost of Power = $0.106 per KWh (change this in the supermetric) .
- Tree offset for CO2 Emission = 36.4 pound of carbon per tree.