This post was contributed by someone I respect for his dedication to vR Ops. Varghese Philipose, Staff TAM, Dubai, has done many upgrades. He is part of the awesome TAM team in Middle East, and they have successfully done >100 upgrades. I’ve been to Dubai several times and meet their customers. The enthusiasm from the customers on how vR Ops have helped them is the proof of the TAM team dedication.
Phase 1 : Running Pre-upgrade Assessment tool
Only for 6.6.1 or older. 6.7 does not need this.
- Download upgrade assessment tool vRealize Operations 8.0 – Upgrade Assessment Tool (Filename: APUAT-184.108.40.20676945.pak, Size of File: 6.07 MB
- Launch a browser. Go to
https://master-node-FQDN-or-IP-address/admin, where the address is the master node Administrator interface.
- Click Software Update in the left panel.
- Click Install a Software Update in the main panel.
- Follow the steps in the wizard to locate and install your PAK file. Check Install the PAK file even if it is already installed.
- Install the Upgrade Assessment Tool.
- Wait for the software update to complete.
- Access to Pre-upgrade assessment report – steps as below:
- Navigate to the Support > Support Bundles tab.
- Download the light support bundle that was generated from the installation of the Upgrade Assessment Tool.
- In the downloaded support bundle, open the cluster_timestamp_nodeaddress/nodeaddress_timestamp_nodeaddress/apuat-data/report/index.html file.
- A list of all potentially impacted user content, if any , will be displayed in the Impacted Components Summary page.
Phase 2 : Upgrading to vROps 8.0
Make sure the “root” account password is set, and is not expired or locked (on all nodes). Check by logging into SSH console of every node with root account. If you have not logged into SSH earlier, the default password will be blank and just press enter at password prompt. After this it will ask for setting a new password.
Make sure “admin” account password is set, and is not expired or locked (On all nodes)
- Recommended to remove all impacted Management Packs, if any, prior to initiating the upgrade.
- Download the following upgrade file required for upgrade: Use the download link from myvmware portal
- Make sure all the vROps nodes have sufficient disk space for upgrade (Minimum 5% free disk space required for each node): Check with command “df -h” from SSH session to each node.
- Optional step: If you have a large vROps cluster with more than 4 nodes, speed up by pre-copying upgrade files to all nodes. Follow steps in KB 2127895
- Take the vR Ops cluster offline from Admin UI and shut down all nodes.
- Take snapshot of all the nodes.
- Power on vR Ops nodes in the sequence starting Master Node, Replica Node, Data Nodes and Remote Collectors.
- Take the cluster offline, if it comes online after powering ON. This step reduces the time taken for upgrade.
- Initiate vR Ops In-place upgrade from Admin UI.
- Once the upgrade is completed, verify functionality. If all functionality is reported correctly, take the cluster offline, shutdown nodes and delete the snapshots. Once snapshots are removed, power on the nodes in sequence (follow same steps in Step #9 above ).
- Once all nodes are powered on, bring the vROps cluster Online.
Because of vR Ops 8.0 included vRealize Suite 2019 you should upgrade your vRealize Suite license from 2018 to 2019 as well.