Operations is a long journey. If Architecting is Day 1, Operations is Day 2 onwards. It involves planning, monitoring, troubleshooting, reporting, upgrading, etc.
It is not simpler than Architecture. The two are like the Yin and Yang, Night and Day. Just because you can architect something, does not mean you can operate it. How do we know this? A lot of customers struggle with Operations. They have world-class architecture, but are fire-fighting with 2 contradicting forces:
- Their customers (VM Owners) complain that the IaaS does not perform.
- Their bosses (CIO) said they cannot add hardware because utilization is not high enough.
Architecture and Operations are intertwined that I believe the hands on the keyboard, solving the complex problem that brought down production, belong to The Architect.
Do not architect something you are not willing to troubleshoot. Do not automate something you cannot operate.
To help customers solve get on top of Operations, Kenon Owens created a program called Operationalize Your World. It is purpose built to help VMware customers turned their SDDC into IaaS.
The best cloud isn't the one with the best architecture. It's one that is a joy to operate.
Follow these steps to take advantage of the program.
Step 1: Review the Decks
It’s available in editable format here, so you can tailor it. Let me know your experience!
If you have more time, read these:
- An overview.
- When you architect, have you considered how it will be operated? Here is the acid test.
- If you need a Manager of Managers, then this article will surprise you. It’s not what you think!
- The program introduces a new concept: Performance SLA.
Step 2: Review the Dashboards
A suite of integrated dashboards is the main deliverable of the program. They are not individual, standalone dashboards. They are complimentary to one another and form a story.
After many releases, Operationalize Your World is now closely mapped to vRealize Operation release. You can find the latest here.
The link above also has the import step.
If you can’t sleep: Read the book
- Get the soft copy here. Use CTOAmbassador as discount code to get 30% off on soft-copy.