This post is part of Operationalize Your World post. Do read it first to get the context.
I try not to duplicate videos already made by others, and will link to theirs instead if I find theirs to be relevant. In general, the videos are applicable to all 6.x versions as the features I used are fairly basic.
My video has no sound for 2 reasons. I tend to make wrong pronunciation and my England isn’t exactly clear. I added music from YouTube as compensation, hope you like it 🙂
The workshop does not cover Installation & Configuration as there are many materials covering it, plus I’m only given around 4 hours to cover both vRealize Operations and Log Insight 🙂
Here is the videos so far:
- How to determine if a VM slowness is not caused by your shared infrastructure
- This is probably the #1 request I get.
- This demonstrates how useful Performance SLA is. Without it, you’re defenceless!
- I’ve added a variant to the dashboard, where you can also show the VM utilization.
- vSphere overall performance
- How is your IaaS serving the VMs?
- This shows that you need to define what you mean by Performance. It cannot be subjective!
- How are the VMs using your shared Storage and Network?
- Is there anyone abusing the shared IaaS?
- The challenge with Network IO and Storage IO is generally you do not cap. So it’s possible for a VM to excessively use it. The question is: who and when?
- How to create super metric.
- I created my Top 3 most frequently asked super metrics. They are the first 3 I created in almost all my engagements.
- I created multiple in 1 video so you can see that some steps can be done together. You can also import them, as per what Sunny has shared here.
- How to create view
- I use View widget heavily as it allows data transformation. This video also includes steps how you can use it report.
- Tag and Custom Dashboard
- Matthias Eisner shows you how to Tags to group objects. He showed how to create tags, and he created a custom dashboard to show an application. Justin, our UI Architect, also shares about Custom Dashboard.
- How to create a multi-tenant structure
- One of my customers enhance this by having 2 levels. 1 tenant has many Apps, and 1 app has many VMs.
- How to create alert for specific customer
- How to create a new alert definition
- Justin, our UI Architect, share how it is done.
BTW, if you want to see them as 1 link, see this.